Sunday, November 19, 2006

45,000 and chugging along....

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can! Seriously, Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'm going to finish. I might even finish before Thanksgiving.
WOOHOO

I'm not sure about the genre of this "novel"(it's a very small novel, the defining point being 50,000 words), it sort of defies categorization. Maybe it's scattered, maybe it's two books in one, maybe it's chick lit, maybe it's suspense, maybe it's historical fiction, maybe it's romance, maybe it's religious/spiritual/new age, maybe it's a foodie book, maybe it's a little bit of all these things. If you look close you will see my face peeking out here and there and you will certainly see some of my goals and dreams.

Not sure if I'll ever put the story out there for human consumption. I have a few girlfriends that read the first third of the book and I've left them hanging in suspense. I probably should let them read the other two-thirds of the book. My two oldest daughters have read the book to date and they are planning on writing their own novels in the month of December, so I guess reading mine didn't scare them too much.

In the NaNoWriMo book, the author and one that started this whole shebang, said all first drafts are sh*t and not to worry about it. That's what the editing process is for. The folks at NaNoWriMo dedicate the month of March to helping us fledgling authors edit our novel. I like the sound of "our novel". This writing process has been a lot more fun than I thought it would be. The best thing about it is I can stop saying "I wish I could write a novel" and say "I did write a novel". The fact that no one, besides me and a handful, will ever read it is beside the point. The point is I bit off something too big to chew and not only chewed but swallowed it.
But then, maybe I'm congratulating myself a bit early.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

Susan

No comments: