Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Foodies

This morning I was preparing Ampersand's Tuna Salad(white albacore, cranberries, diced red onion, s&p, and mayo) for lunch, while Christy was unloading the dishwasher and talking about Paula Deen. If you are from the South or watch the Food Network, then you know about Paula Deen. She is funny and a good Southern cook. Christy was telling me about a marinated shrimp salad that Paula prepared and she listed the ingredients. I suppressed a chuckle because she sounded so grown up (she will be 12 later this month) but mostly I wanted to chuckle because she sounded like me! Two foodies. Actually, all the kids are foodies and fairly adventurous eaters. Ana and I dream of attending a class at
Ballymaloo Cooking School in Ireland. Nicole whips up a pasta sauce for mushroom ravioli that is to die for. Christy has taken to watching the Food Network and cooking "Eggy in a Basket" or "Toads in A Hole" or "Popeyes"(that's what Paula Deen calls them). Nathan is the guinea pig that is happy to try anything we cook up. He also makes perfect fried eggs!

"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti"

2 comments:

Ampersand said...

We are a foodie family too! And we adore Paula Deen. We love watching Iron Chef America together.

And my youngest is quite the cook, too. And my son is also the grateful recipient :).

I enjoyed reading this!

Dalissa McEwen Reeder said...

We are foodies, too. But, usually only when we go out to eat because I don't have the time I used to have to cook meals. Anyhoo, we used to be heavily into Iron Chef to the point that E. and J. had a cook off one week. E. made filet mignon and J. made lasagna from scratch... both were delish.