What is the world coming to?
I've been thinking about two things: DIVERSITY and FRIENDS
According to Mirriam Webster,
DIVERSITY: the condition of being diverse : VARIETY; especially : the inclusion of diverse people (as people of different races or cultures) in a group or organization
FRIENDS: one attached to another by affection or esteem, acquaintence, one that is not hostile
How many of us have diversity in our friendships? How many of us are willing to risk that? I want to. I started again last night, by really listening to the hostess at the dinner party I attended. She is from Calcutta and was dressed in a beautiful blue sari. She has been living in America for 11 years but still misses her homeland and wants to return. I asked her to describe what Calcutta looked like, how you got around, what she missed. She lit up and talked and talked. I thought about how diverse her life experiences are from mine but the more she talked, the more I realized we have a lot in common too. This woman misses home and so do I, though I'm not sure where "home" is. This woman has a little "church" in one bedroom. I was intrigued by the totally empty room, except for the little altar against one wall. It made me think of my gazebo. We are diverse in what moves us spiritually but not in the fact that we are moved. The Indian dish she prepared seemed rather diverse to me, with the rice, lamb, cashews, raisins and spices all mixed together. I asked for the recipe and noted it was spices I use all the time, just mixed a little differently. It was ingredients I use all the time(except for the lamb that actually tasted like beef to me...surprise, suprise) but they were mixed a little differently. Which got me to thinking that diversity is simple the different mixtures that each person brings to the table. Underneath we are all very similar but that different mixture is what keeps things interesting and to be honest, scarey at times.
I have been considering, for the past several days, what it might be like to have a diverse group of friends. Last night, I got a little taste of it. It was good and I want more.
Susan
Thursday, December 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment