No, I'm not losing the battle. I'm speaking of spiritual retreats, small group retreats, solitary retreats, at home retreats, dramatic Walden type retreats, actually any kind of retreat. I love the word "retreat"! My favorite Webster defintion would be:
"a place of privacy or safety: refuge"
followed closely by this definition:
"a period of group withdrawal for prayer, meditation, study, or instruction under a director, a spiritual retreat"
2006 could be described, for me, as THE YEAR OF THE RETREAT! I have taken 3 solitary retreats, 3 spiritual workshop type retreats, 3 spiritual friend weekend type retreats and numerous daily retreats to the nearby labrynth or my backyard gazebo. Today, I start a new retreat. It's a six-week daily life retreat based upon the book, "Your Spiritual Garden" by Pegge Bernecker. We were to prepare by gathering a journal-got a groovey one yesterday, black with gold sunrays streaming across it and the sentiment...
"IN THE MIDST OF OUR LIVES
WE MUST FIND THE MAGIC
THAT MAKES OUR SOULS SOAR"
a packet of seeds-I have a package of Crocus bulbs
and a garden tool-I picked the 3 pronged claw
We were instructed to write a covenant with ourselves, committing to what we would like to focus on during our hour daily retreat time. I am focusing on meditation/prayer in the form of yoga, reiki, scripture and some interesting words from wise souls. I will also contact a mentor regarding direction for 2007, I hope to reconcile with someone I have hurt, I will serve at a local kitchen for the poor, walk five days a week, walk the labrynth once a week and do my best to fast from criticism(of myself and others). This is my covenant.
Today, we are instructed to find a special place, and bring our gear, in order to do the opening ceremony. I've decided upon the labrynth at Cedarbrake Renewal for my ceremony, as Cedarbrake is the special place where I took my first solitary retreat a year ago. The labrynth is near and dear to my heart. It's large and has trees growing in various places along the path. You have to wrap your arms around them or hug them to get around. Also, the center of the labrynth has stone benches to sit and reflect a while, as you look out on the pastoral scene and the tiny yellow butterflies flitting about. Seems a perfect place to start my retreat and with that, I'm off!
Retreatingly,
Susan
Saturday, December 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I've taken several writer's retreats on my own. Twice I rented a cabin near water for 2 days. another time I camped for a week in our camper. Now that I'm not doing foster care and my sons are grown, I have lots of solitude, but I still need a retreat to get away from the drudgery of everyday chores. We have to periodically see with new things with new eyes, I think.
I like the word "sabbatical" too!
Your retreats sound wonderful Colleen!!! There is something about getting away from the phones, the tvs, the cooking of dinner, the clock, that frees you to see things with new eyes.
I too love the word "sabbatical". I really would like to play scrabble with you. ;-)
Susan
Post a Comment